Friday 14 October 2011

When it's not always raining..

Now that you've had an intro into why and how I came to be in Ireland I can give you an overview of what I actually do here on a weekly basis. For the first half of the week I generally work on administrative tasks for the Community of Nazareth as well as preparation for Youth Group events, which happen on Friday evenings.  On Wednesdays and Thursdays Rachel (my roommate and fellow GAPper) and I work at the local Christian radio station, called Spirit Radio.  Public transportation is really big in Ireland so we take the bus or train most places we go (It takes about an hour to get to the radio station by bus.)

Spirit's catch phrase is "Ireland's new Positive Sound" so as you can guess they really focus on having a positive, uplifting sound.  My job is to research positive news stories and rewrite them in script form to be read on the air.  I also put together events guides and update the website's calander.  I love working there because it truly is a positive sound, whenever I listen to Spirit radio I can't help but feel happy and encouraged. And by finding positive news and events I feel that I am actually contributing to this Positive sound.


                                                         Working at Spirit Radio.

Last week we had the opportunity to visit a school for three days and help put on a retreat for the first and third year girls (ages 13-15). It was really amazing to see the Lord work at these retreats and I know there will be many more like it to come!

On Saturdays, Rachel and I try to get out and see a bit of the area. The weather has been unusually nice since I got here and so far we have been able to go to Howth, climb the Sugarloaf Mountain and wander around the city centre.

                   This is Rachel and me at Powerscourt with the Sugarloaf mountain behind us.


                                       At Howth, it was such a beautiful day! Sunny and warm.


From left to right: Three of the Mahony's (my host family) Peter, Leanne, Paul, Rachel and me at the top of the Sugarloaf Mountain.

There will be more detail to come, but this is an overview of what I have been doing since I arrived about 5 weeks ago.  Thanks for reading and God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. Chrissy - Really enjoyed the picture of you relaxing on the warm, inviting beach at Howth. (Did you know thomeone produthed a TV drama here entitled "Howth"? Not about Ireland, though, it's about some grumpy doctor.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy, I'm really enjoying your blog.
    - Dad

    ReplyDelete